Sharing Schedule

Monday 14 January 2013

Writing Expectations

Grade One is an exciting time of learning. Children discover themselves as writers and begin to communicate their ideas, experiences and knowledge through pictures and words. When assessing writing, we look at both the expression of ideas and the use of conventions.

Expression of Ideas:

  • Write three or more related sentences on a topic (given or chosen)
  • Include details about the topic or experience to help the reader understand 
  • Writing maintains a sequence (order)
  • Sentences are varied (not patterned) and may include a joining word (e.g. "and")
  • Word choice is considered (e.g. "delicious" instead of "good")
Use of Conventions:
  • Spaces are consistently left between words so the reader can easily read the writing
  • Most of the common words studied (spelling words) are spelled correctly, by memory or by using the word wall in the classroom
  • New words are spelled by recording most of the sounds heard in order
  • Beginning to start sentences with a capital letter and end with a period or exclamation mark
  • Lowercase letters are used within a sentence 
  • Writing is within the lines
Here are two samples of our winter writing. I'm sure you will enjoy the stories!


Skating
I went skating at my friend's house on the pond.
The first time I was not good at all, but I went back on the pond.
I was good the next time. I was good!

Sledding
I went sledding with my dad and my brother. 
I had a big crash and I went flying 5 feet in the air!

1 comment:

  1. Dear Room 8,
    I love the stories you are writing! I can tell that you are thinking about what good writers do. Your stories are interesting and fun to read. Your printing is neat and you have spaces between your words so that it is easy to read and understand. Will you be doing illustrations for your stories? These would make an excellent class book. Thank you for sharing your learning! I love to see and hear what you are doing at school!
    From,
    Shannon Siemens (Sunny's mama)

    ReplyDelete